Friday, February 16, 2024

Book Haul - January 2024

The year of the cut back has begun. I thought it would be a bummer going into the store and not walking out with stacks, but it was actually kind of fun to be more selective. Added bonus; because there wasn’t a hundred books to scan I could take the time and do the scans one by one so they’ll be bigger on the blog.

Don't feel like reading? Watch the video!

First up is something that is rare for me; I ordered a book off of Ebay. I usually don’t order books online. The thrill of the hunt is all part of the fun and googling the book you want and never leaving your house just doesn’t do it for me. BUT it’s been about five years of vintage book collecting and I have yet to come across a boxing novel “out in the wild”. I absolutely love boxing and decided the time was now for Hot Leather. Looks to be tough brawling fun.

Made a quick stop to the Antique Mall and found this Fawcett Gold Medal- One for Sleep by Frank Bonham. A parole officer and a cheating wife. What could go wrong?

We couldn’t miss our monthly stop at Half Priced Books. Grabbed this Mickey Spillane on the cheap. I haven’t read any in a couple years and would like to knock a couple of this year.

Appointment with Fear looked to be some salacious murder noir.

Haunted Planet is a youth horror book. It was only $2 and I liked the cover.

The Fabulous Clipjoint by Frederic Brown. I thought it might be a prohibition era noir but I think it’s a cop hunting down a killer.

A non-Bond Ian Fleming- The Diamond Smugglers

Next, we made a stop at the Bookery in Fairborn where I grabbed an Allan Quartermain novel. I’ve always wanted to watch one of these movies, but they have never been available streaming anywhere. I mean, for free. I’m cheap!

Got this beat up but excellent Lion Books, Trouble Follows Me by Kenneth Millar

Slow Burn by Jack Ehrlich is another Parole Officer in a scandalous situation.

Espionage suspense. The Ascent of D-13 by Andrew Garve.

Classic looking Fawcett Gold Medal by Bruno Fischer, Murder in the Raw.

And lastly I picked up a cover buy. I know, I know, if you’re probably not going to read it, why buy it? Because look at that thing! It’s a work of art. I believe it’s a historical fiction reprinted in paperback form to make it look more sleazy but is probably really dry. Either way, couldn’t pass it up.

Dropped by one of my favorite local stores, Bell Book & Comic twice this month and grabbed the last of the Black Lizard books they had.

I was also in the mood for some more Star Trek after that last book I read. I believe these are the first Star Trek books after the original series. Man did they drop the ball in the art department after the first one.

Got this ERB War Chief. Native American western.

60’s spy with Hardy. Actually, maybe it’s from the 70’s from the look of his suit.

Foxx! Is a private detective western. A little genre crossover.

The one and only real horror novel this month, Satan’s Child by Peter Saxon. I love the DeadWorld looking art.

Adventure on planes with Prison at Obregon by Bill Adkins.

And lastly, we got this old issue of Creepy with excellent satanic cover art.

To wrap up the month I got a box for review from Bob Deis from Menspulpmags.com. I can’t believe I got sent a review submission. Bob (menspulpmags.com) and Wyatt (New Texture) sure know how to make a fella feel proud. Thanks so much guys!

The Naked and the Deadly is a collection of Lawrence Block’s fiction that was originally published in Men’s Adventure Magazines (MAMS as they say).

I got two issues of the Men’s Adventure Quarterly magazines including the latest issue which is Croc Attack.

For the Men’s Adventure Library series they sent me this biography/art book about Eva Lynd. Model for MAM covers and muse for the artists of paperback novels.

I also got the bikersploitation collection Barbarians on Bikes. Hilarious!

And finally the Art of Ron Lesser Vol 1 art book. Stunning painted images of paperback covers and the back story behind them. This thing is gorgeous!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nick - Thanks for including the Men's Adventure Library books and MEN'S ADVENTURE QUARTERLY issues I co-edited in you book haul list. I look forward to your reviews of them. Cheers!
    - Bob Deis
    Editor of the Men’s Adventure Library book series, the MEN'S ADVENTURE QUARTERLY and MensPulpMags.com

    ReplyDelete